The majority of teens surveyed reported feelings of shame, self-consciousness, and/or embarrassment about their periods. The following statistics reflect the negative sentiments that follow teens throughout their lives on what is typically a monthly basis, and are a foundation for increased emotional anxiety with numerous potential effects:
- 64% believe society teaches people to be ashamed of their periods
- 66% do not want to be at school when they are on their period.
- 80% feel there is a negative association with periods, that they are gross or unsanitary.
- 71% feel self-conscious on their period.
- 69% feel embarrassed when they have to bring period products to the bathroom.
- 57% have felt personally affected by the negative association surrounding periods.
- the majority (51%) of students feel like their school does not care about them if they do not provide free period products in their bathrooms.
State of the Period. The widespread impact of period poverty on US students. Commissioned by Thinx & PERIOD